Friday, March 30, 2012

IMO: Best Frugal French Manicure

Disclaimer: I've no ties to the manufacturers or retailers listed in this post. I purchased the products myself, and these opinions are 100% my own.

Back in December, I got a French manicure for an upcoming party. I loved the look but couldn't afford to continue having the service done regularly. So I decided to try to DIY it! For less than $20, I was able to pick up the supplies at Wal-Mart: pink nail polish, top coat and this Sally Hansen French Manicure Pen.

I've really enjoyed using this pen! I'm able to control the flow of the paint, and I like that the paint covers in one coat, provided I shake it well and prime it by pressing the tip down a couple of times.

Here's what I do: 
  1. Shake the pen, and then press the tip down on the inside of the lid until the paint begins to flow.
  2. Freehand the white tip and allow it to dry thoroughly.
  3. Pool a good bit of the pink paint on the bottom half of the nail and then pull the brush upwards lightly and quickly (until you gain some experience, you'll re-wet the white paint, causing it to smear). Allow this coat to dry. I use Confetti "Pink Paradise."
  4. Saturate the top coat brush until it nearly drips and apply quickly to nails. I repeat this step a couple of times a week. I use Sally Hansen Salon Manicure Top Coat.
DIY French Manicure (Day 5)
Don't fret about getting the any of these products on your skin. Use a little Vaseline after the nails dry and it will come right off. The first try was not so pretty, but I began again every weekend, and now, ten tries later, I quite like the look. Under close examination, one will see imperfections, but it's an easy trade for a cheap, DIY French manicure!  

No comments: