Thursday, March 1, 2012

IMO Fridays: My fave shampoo for thinning hair


Introducing IMO (“In My Opinion”) Fridays at Mom’s Best Nest! These posts will be 100% unsolicited opinions about things I like and use. Hmm…I guess I can kiss goodbye any review opportunities I might have had with these companies…Oh, well! Let’s get started!

My Favorite Shampoo: Nioxin
This is a hair care line for those with thinning hair, so if that isn't a concern for you, go check out my post about crock pot meatloaf - it's sooo good! For the rest of us...

Balding or thinning hair is a sensitive subject for women. My husband sports a shiny half-bald head handsomely, but I'm quite certain I wouldn't want ot try it myself. I've never really had a head full of hair, but it never was a concern until my mid-twenties. At that time, I began noticing how much of my scalp could be seen in photographs of me, and it was alarming. I think it might have accelerated during my first husband's illness and passing, but I can't be sure. I dealt with it by keeping my hair permed, cut short, teased and shellacked. Then I learned that color adds volume and helps hide the scalp, so I added that to my regime. Eventually perms went out of style, and I tried to froth my hair up as much as I could  without them.

Several years ago, my scalp seemed to get increasingly more obvious. I'd heard of Nioxin, and I began reading about the experiences of real people on several consumer opinion websites (like epinion.com). It seemed to have really good reviews. Upon asking my hairdresser about it, I was surprised to learn that she'd been using it for a long time and wouldn't want to be without it. Here's how she described it to me: "It's normal for scalps to shed hair and regrow hair daily. This product helps you shed less hair, so you  have more hair on your head at any given time than you would without it."

I decided I'd give it a try. Because several of the consumer reviews had stated that one needed to give it at least 3 months before seeing results, I committed to do just that. I've been using it for over a year now and, like my hairdresser, I'd hate to be without it. It didn't reverse my balding and miraculously produce a full head of hair, but I did see positive results. I now have enough hair to feel comfortable growing it to below my shoulders - something I haven't done in 15 years! While I can still occasionally see my scalp, especially when my "roots grow out," it is remarkably improved from before.

IMO, this stuff is pricey, but I purchase mine at Ulta because of their points card and coupons. I think I can usually get a bottle of shampoo for around $11, but I actually try to buy the biggest unit I can afford, in order to save money. Don't do that until you figure out which level you need - there are several lines for specific hair needs. I use the shampoo and conditioner regularly and occasionally purchase and use the third component, which is a scalp treatment, I think. My hair dresser says the follicle booster is much better than that, but I haven't tried it yet.

Hope this was helpful. Let me know if you have any questions or if you've found someting for this condition that you like. I'd love to hear about it.

One more time...I am in no way affiliated with Nioxin or Ulta. I purchased everything reviewed in this post, and all opinions are my own. 

No comments: