Thursday, September 1, 2011

Blog Hopping for Dummies

(Don't be offended...I'm barely in the know myself)

Ever wonder what a blog hop is and how you can jump on board? While I'm hardly the expert, I am willing to share what I've learned about them.

What is a blog hop?
"A blog hop is a linky list that is SHARED ON MULTIPLE BLOGS. When several blogs put the same linky list code on their blog, the exact same list appears on each blog. Blog visitors can submit their entries on any blog that contains the list. The entries will appear on each blog where the list resides. Blog readers see the same list on each blog, and can "HOP" from blog to blog seeing the same list of links to follow: BLOG HOP!" (Linky Tools)
Blog hops are lists of blogs whose owners invite you to visit their blogs and hopefully choose to follow them, via Linky Followers, GFC (Google Friends Connect), Facebook, Twitter, etc. The end result should be more followers of your blog and friends for you.

How do I participate?

1. List your blog. Blog hop hosts (the blog owner willing to design the button, set up the linky list, write the post, etc.) sometimes have requirements for participation. Once you've met the blog hosts requirements as listed on the post, list your blog, being sure to enter your BLOG'S name (not YOUR name - Hah! Made that mistake only once twice) and any other required info you're directed to provide.

2. Follow blogs that interest you and ask them to follow back.
Click on links in the list that interest you. Once there, you'll need to decide whether or not you want to follow them. This is done by clicking the button for whatever venue you choose: Linky Followers, Twitter, Google Plus, GFC, Facebook, etc. Following means that you'll be notified via your reader (for example, I use the Linky Followers Blog Reader and Google Reader) each time they update their blog. If you follow a blog, be sure to leave a quick comment to notify them and invite them to follow your blog too!

3. Follow back those who ask you to do so if you're so inclined.
Other bloggers may follow the link to your website and decide to follow you. They'll probably leave you a comment saying such and ask you to follow back.

How do I find a blog hop?

One way is to click on the buttons (boxes that display advertise a blog hop) that you'll find on blog pages. I can't assure you that they'll be active, but you can tell by looking at the date of the post to which they direct you. I also keep an eye on my reader feeds in the evening, at which time blog hops are usually opened for the next day. You can also "Google" specific dates and land a few.

I remember staring wide-eyed at blog hops for several days before I got my feet wet. Maybe it's all the jargon..."following you" (kinda scary!)..."GFC"..."following back"... Please contact me if I can help you get your feet wet too. I will say it became really comfortable really fast! I have made lots of lovely friends through blog hopping, and I hope you will too!

9 comments:

Jessyca said...

Hey thanks for stopping by, Im returning the love and following back.
Great post. I just started blog hopping a couple weeks ago, and I too was going to every blog and reading atleast one post and following. My numbers werent adding up either, and it is very irritating because a lot of blogs ask that if someone follows you, the other person should follow back, but sadly not everyone does. I need to start keeping track myself. Anyway Have a great weekend.
http://jessycaspage.blogspot.com/

Pinching Abe said...

Hi, I'm here from Good Friends Just Click blog hop. Nice to meet you! I've followed and hope you'll do the same when you're not too busy!

Mikki said...

Thanks for dropping by y'all. On my way to see you now...

Unknown said...

Great information on hops. I am a new follower :)

Unknown said...

Interesting post. I only learnt about Blog Hops recently but I have found them to be the best way so far to get Followers. I am a new Follower of your Blog.
Judy - JUDY H-J'S THOUGHTS

Sarah said...

Hi! Great post! Very informative and really helps out newbies like me :)

I am from Welcome Wednesday blog hop. I just started my blog and am pretty new to this whole blog hop thing, but I figure this is one of the best ways to get followers on a new blog!

Happy Gardening, Kim said...

New follower here from Weds. hop
I'll enter your Tuesday hop next week.

Have a great week.

http://mommieagainblog.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Thank you for posting this. For days now I have been curious about blog hops but not quite sure what in the world they were. I am trying to get my blog moving. Nice to meet you thought. Happy we are sisters in the Lord
Blog URL http://intentionallyinspired.blogspot.com/

Mallory Hermann said...

I am new to your blog hop and love the way you explained the whole concept to newbies!
http://mallorycberry.blogspot.com/