Wednesday, October 12, 2011

$3 DIY Slow Drain Fix (Not for the queasy)


(I was in no way compensated for this review. I spent the $3 required to conduct this experiment myself, and the maker of the product doesn't even know my name :)

Quite randomly, I ran across a post about this product, Zip-It, a few months ago and thought it was worth a try. It was very inexpensive at Home Depot for under $3! I decided to try it on the slow drain on my vanity sink, which had gotten much worse over the years. Read More >>





It's basically an 18" flexible plastic dipstick with barbs on each side. I lowered it into the drain. I did have to wiggle it around a little but you can see how much actually went into the drain. When I backed it out, I began to get nervous, as it really seemed caught on something! I was pulling really hard, thinking that I had probably made a big mistake and we'd have to just cut it off and leave it in there when, suddenly, it gave way about 3 inches and extracted this... 


See that little black speck to the right? That was a warning of things to come that I didn't heed. I pulled again, and... (you may want to stop reading now - this is absolutely the grossest thing I've ever seen posted on a blog!)


NO WONDER IT WAS SLOW!!! That black stuff sprayed for a radius of at least 2 feet all over my vanity and wall! EWWWWW! If I ever need to use this again, I'll place a towel around the sink. I think the thing that looks like a wet rat is the result of my rinsing my hands after applying my hair products every morning, year after year. Time for a new plan for that!

This little gadget is incredibly effective! It's also inexpensive and chemical-free. The only concern I had was the resistance I felt when I backed it out. I don't know if I was damaging anything down there or not. Maybe I lowered it too far? If you know any plumbers, it might provide peace of mind to ask them before using it. 

1 comment:

Ashlyn said...

We've used these before... it's amazing what you can dig out of the drain, lol.

Following you via the blog hop on GFC and facebook. Please follow back!

Daily Mothering
http://www.dailymothering.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Daily-Mothering/199223433477018