Saturday, October 8, 2011

Rest in my "MEST"

The ladies over at 5 Minutes for Mom recently sent an email informing me that I'd been listed on their site. I'd filled out a form requesting this a few weeks ago. I was so excited! I followed the link, and sure enough, there I was...only it was listed as Mom's Best Mest. I was a bit mortified as it somewhat altered the image I was seeking. I mean, I know I claim "not perfection," but a MESS? My BEST MESS?? Read More >>

After I got over the initial shock, I realized with a smile that this was a fairly good indicator of where I find myself these days. I am a Work-outside-of-the-home-mom (what's the acronym for that?) and have always been dependent on the systems I've put together from various wonderful sources. Systems for meal-planning, housework, maintaining the finances, etc. Over the past couple of months, I've experienced a systems meltdown! Everything fell behind, no meals were planned, things started piling up, and yet I felt I was doing the best I could do.

After analyzing some of the causes of these problems, I concluded that, yes, I had taken on more "stuff" than I ever had before, but I truly felt that most, if not all, was within God's will for my life and that none needed to be weeded out. Then (I am very ashamed to reveal this) I became resentful that my God, a God who demonstrates his appreciation for order in His Word, who I thought had led me to said systems, was seemingly allowing them to fail! 

Eventually, I was given a peace that God knew about and understood all that was going on in my life, and He was allowing it for my good and His glory, even the system failures! These verses came to mind:

Jeremiah 29:11
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Isaiah 55:8
"My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts," says the LORD. "And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine.

Oh, and, of course the verse to the right of this post, which I do try to live by!

So what of my systems? My husband (and pastor) reminded me of the phrase "don't throw the baby out with the bathwater." Just because my systems aren't working at full capacity right now, doesn't mean I need to find new ones. I simply need to accept where God has me, lean on him for guidance and strength and let go of "failures." No doubt, God is working even those situations together for my good!

So, if you ever notice that you haven't heard from me for a while, please know that I'm probably a little busy and need your prayers to find rest in my "mest."

UPDATE: Just got back from my Bible study class, in which we're studying The Temple by Laurie Cole. She reminded us that we are best positioned to glorify God  when we are desperate for him and dependent upon Him. Now I can view my "mest" as a perfect opportunity to glorify my God!

No comments: